Opinion on most advanced mid 80s walkman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2011
Kent, United Kingdom
discoscratch.co.uk
I'm looking to buy a walkman from 85 to 88 ish. I seem to remember Panasonic having some nice advanced models... Aiwa too & obviously Sony.. I've looked through a lot of posts & a hell of a lot of eBay auctions and still can't settle on a model, not even a top 3.

Any advice?

Thanks all.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I have a real nice fully working Sony WM600. Super clean with new belt, 2 brand new battery sticks and charger. Fully detailed and head was cleaned as well as demagnatized. Fully automatic with feather touch controls and auto reverse... It's immaculate :drool: Sound is amazing and unit is black and very compact :thumbsup:

Waxer said:
I'm looking to buy a walkman from 85 to 88 ish. I seem to remember Panasonic having some nice advanced models... Aiwa too & obviously Sony.. I've looked through a lot of posts & a hell of a lot of eBay auctions and still can't settle on a model, not even a top 3.

Any advice?

Thanks all.
While from the early-to-mid 1980s, the Sony SRF-A1 walkman has a very wide bandwidth on AM with a more than adequate sensitivity that more than made up for the extra-wide selectivity related to it`s C-Quam performance. It was compatible at the time with 4 of the 5 AM Stereo systems ever made. The sound is almost as crispy as the Sony CFS-6000 on AM and I can receive semi-local WIRY-1340 in Plattsburgh, NY here in Montreal with a VERY decent sound in C-Quam stereo. WINY-1350 has also a CD-like sound on fade-ups and is also stereophonic. It tunes well into the X band, up to about 1672 or 1673 kHz, more or less ! The more than adequate sensitivity makes receiving Latin American signals possible occasionally under the right conditions.

On FM, the sensitivity is very decent in rural areas, as is the selectivity. However, the bipolar transistors make an extremely poor dynamic range, resistance to overload is almost 0 even in my MTL suburb of Pierrefonds. But I think, in a rural area with very few locals, you should receive some sporadic-E during the right ionospheric opening.

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan

It is a radio only walkman...

Thretris

Member (SA)
Apr 5, 2012
Eugene, OR
thretris.blogspot.com
I love my walkman, it's awesome. SONY WM31 from 1986. Highly recommended. It sits in my trucks and is hooked up to my ken wood CD deck though the AUX jack lol.

But I could find another one of these, i would be stoked cause its the only walkman I have like better (don't remember the model number... image from google)

Thretris said:
I love my walkman, it's awesome. SONY WM31 from 1986. Highly recommended. It sits in my trucks and is hooked up to my ken wood CD deck though the AUX jack lol.

But I could find another one of these, i would be stoked cause its the only walkman I have like better (don't remember the model number... image from google)

WM-D3, strangely enough I was GIVEN one of these for FREE today, very pleased with that score.

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-d3

Chordeater

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2011
Oviedo, Spain
Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of getting a good walkman, Sony was my favourite brand in the 80s. Could you recomend me a good sounding one? Good sound is my main goal.

Thanks!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Chordeater said:
Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of getting a good walkman, Sony was my favourite brand in the 80s. Could you recomend me a good sounding one? Good sound is my main goal.

Thanks!
My favorite is the WM-10. I also have a newer type with auto reverse and soft touch controls with rechargeable battery... The WM-600... This also sounds awesome!! I would consider selling it with 2 new rechargeable batteries and charger. Fully serviced...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vfhi3q
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chordeater

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2011
Oviedo, Spain
Middle of nowhere seems to be so far away ... :-P , I was thinking about buying to a local guy. I guess it's easy to find someone here in Spain who are willing to sell a good walkman for bargain price because he simply doesn't use it since 1986 ... maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions!

tablaboom

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2010
Londres
Look at the WM F10 or the WM F 10 II, theyre pretty decent for their size - after all they claim to be the smallest in the world at one time

Status
Not open for further replies.