Crown CSC 300 L needs repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavinsky1983

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2009
Germany
Hello,

i bought a Crown 300 L cassette recorder some weeks ago, it´s the model with the four speakers in a row and analog vu meters. Looks nice but some repairs need to be done.

First of all, i can hear the tape engine running all the time, even when i press stop. When i opened the housing to change the bulps i saw that the belt in the tape teck mechanism is down, it´s not easy to pull the belt on again. Might this be the reason that the engine (who is needed to spin the tape) is running all the time? cause this surrely costs lot of power.

Second problem: Parts of a song just with middle and treble are very loud, but when the bass is joining the volume breaks down. This is an up and down in some songs, is this usuall ?

last Question: The build in speakers have an resistance of 8 ohm, i wonder if i may change this speakers with models who run at 4 ohm, or would this kill the amplifier ? i wish to have some more speaker output.

sorry for my bad english, hope somebody can help me

THANKS!

greetings Lukas

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Hi Lukas,

If you ever find any data on this, let me know as well if you could please. I own a CSC-350F and getting info on parts or people who can repair these things are next to impossible.....Best of luck!

Matt

Kavinsky1983 said:
Hello,

i bought a Crown 300 L cassette recorder some weeks ago, it´s the model with the four speakers in a row and analog vu meters. Looks nice but some repairs need to be done.

First of all, i can hear the tape engine running all the time, even when i press stop. When i opened the housing to change the bulps i saw that the belt in the tape teck mechanism is down, it´s not easy to pull the belt on again. Might this be the reason that the engine (who is needed to spin the tape) is running all the time? cause this surrely costs lot of power.

Second problem: Parts of a song just with middle and treble are very loud, but when the bass is joining the volume breaks down. This is an up and down in some songs, is this usuall ?

last Question: The build in speakers have an resistance of 8 ohm, i wonder if i may change this speakers with models who run at 4 ohm, or would this kill the amplifier ? i wish to have some more speaker output.

sorry for my bad english, hope somebody can help me

THANKS!

greetings Lukas

Superduper

Member (SA)
The motor is almost surely running continuously because it is waiting for the cassette mechanism to reset. Since the reset is accomplished through mechanical motion of the capstan flywheel, which will never happen if the belt is down, then the motor runs all the time. You should not run it this way because eventually, you'll blow the motor. Depending upon your motor, a new replacement might be impossible to find so you should get that fixed.

Since bass consumes much more current than mid/treble, the lack of quality bass reproduction is probably due to the amp struggling to provide enough oomph for the bass transients. Whether the cause is due to a defective power supply, weak power amp, leaky filter capacitors is not important. What IS important is that replacing the 8 ohm speakers with 4 ohm units will increase the ability of the speaker to consume power which is already lacking by the symptoms you are describing. In fact, it may increase the power consumption and output by up to 100%. That is counterproductive in correcting the bass distortion.

Fix the power issue in the amp before tinkering with the speakers and I'd probably recommend NOT to use lower impedance drivers, especially since you have 4 speakers. If they are run in parallel, the effective impendance is only going to be 4 ohms per side as it is. Using 4 ohm drivers in their place would drop the impedance of the load to 2 ohms which is probably dangerously low. Good luck.

Kavinsky1983

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2009
Germany
@ Dumpstermyass: I spend some time searching some informations bout this stereo, but there´s nothing worth to say! just some pictures.....am I one of the last persons who own a CSC 300L ? :(

@ Superduper: Thanks for your detailed answer. Problem was that equalizer on the mp3 player AND Crown was active, that was to much tone boost so it breaked down, power management is also better using higher quality d-cells.

This stereo is using 2 active and two passive radiators, but i won´t change them, it sounds good now!

I managed to but the belt on the wheel again an everythin is working perfect! rec mode, play mode.......no problem an correct speed!

But.........when i put the housing together and switched it on the fuse died, there must be a short circuit, so i unscrewed it again to check all cables cause i thought i queezed one.

I found nothing and put in a new fuse, its a 2.5A model so there must be a heavy short circuit!
I turned it on with the new fuse in unscrewed mode and..........everything worked!

After putting it together the fuse blow up 2 seconds after switching on :( i spend two hours and it´s not working.

Im thinking to bring him to a radio shop they find it fast i guess........

need some more luck ;)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Something is shorting to ground when you are assembling the box. It's that simple. Could be the transformer, anything where bare terminals could contact something else. Maybe even the back of the circuit board contacting something on the back case. Check again -- it's probably right in front of your eyes.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
roddy@radiohier said:
Where do you live?
OMG-It's the boomboxes from heaven wall!!
I just love this photo-are you the one with 1,000 boomboxes??
I'm going to love it when I hit 100 this winter!!
That is sheer nuts!
Welcome-GB. :-) :-O :yes: :surf: :thumbsup:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Ghettoboom767 said:
I'm going to love it when I hit 100 this winter!!
That is sheer nuts!
Welcome-GB. :-) :-O :yes: :surf: :thumbsup:
Yes it is, when I was approaching 80 I was feeling overwhelmed and not at all happy that I was stuffing them into closets or under beds where ever I could. A recent purging of broken, worthless boxes helped then I sold about 10 nice boxes and that was tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.