amp chip inside Sanyo M-X720K

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Hey, anyone know off hand what power amp is under that huge heatsink on the Sanyo M-X720K??

:sin:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Bad quality sound. I can just about turn it all the way up and the sound is very blah, no bass and too quiet IMO. that is with radio or line-in input. Line-out sounds good on blockbusters input.

Originally I thought the speakers might be blown or out of phase so I hooked them up to my blockbuster and they sound KILLER.

I've deoxed all the switches and they seem to be working properly.

Next I figured I'd check the VCC at the power amp to see if it was getting proper power. Tried running off AC/DC and also tried test bench DC power supply direct to battery leads.

Bit of a puzzler. Let's put it this way, my M-X620K puts it to shame :-/

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Plug up the 720 using the AC cord. If the VU for battery level isn't all the way to the right, then you probably still have a dirty power switch. The 720 I had was notorious for getting a dirty power switch. It pretty much had the same symptoms as you are describing. Just a thought...

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Fatdog said:
Plug up the 720 using the AC cord. If the VU for battery level isn't all the way to the right, then you probably still have a dirty power switch. The 720 I had was notorious for getting a dirty power switch. It pretty much had the same symptoms as you are describing. Just a thought...
:agree: mine too

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Ok, got 'er rigged up to test...looks like the left needle goes just to the '1'. are you saying it should peg over past the '+5'? or is 1 correct?

Also, I have sprayed it quite a few times with deoxit and now it seems to be almost puddled in there. Does this stuff ever evaporate? sheesh :-/

Thanks for the help guys!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
k2j said:
Ok, got 'er rigged up to test...looks like the left needle goes just to the '1'. are you saying it should peg over past the '+5'? or is 1 correct?

Also, I have sprayed it quite a few times with deoxit and now it seems to be almost puddled in there. Does this stuff ever evaporate? sheesh :-/

Thanks for the help guys!
There is actually a double switch in the 720. A regular silver and a black micro switch next to it. The black one usually is dirtiest. I took my board completely out to get into switch better. The cleaner will dry but don't plug in for a while to make sure :thumbsup:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Ok. :thumbsup: Wow! Not only is it MUCH better sounding, but I actually have bass and treble control!!! :w00t:

I ended up replacing about 1/3 of the caps on the main PCB (all the caps within the vicinity of the power amp). So I'm not quite sure if it was that or the respraying of deoxit on the power and bass/treble pots....Probably a combo of both.

here is some pics of the cap replacement. It still doesn't have the brutal piercing highs that my recapped blockbuster has, but WOW is it warm and fuzzy sounding!

Thanks bill and fatdog for the advice!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
k2j said:
...It still doesn't have the brutal piercing highs that my recapped blockbuster has, but WOW is it warm and fuzzy sounding!...
I agree. The sound of the Sanyo M-X720 is like a freshly baked cinnamon roll just oozing with brown sugar and cream cheese frosting. In other words... sweet! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.