• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 lilo777

lilo777
  • Members (SA)
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

yup just pull.. i noticed the ones on my blockbuster are easier to remove than my SCRATE..

Thanks a lot. I thought there should not be any tricks there but was not sure. I pulled a little harder and it worked just fine. I was able to open up the case and get closer to the deck mechanism. The mechanism does not show any obvious damage (on the other hand, there is nothing obvious there for me for I have not dealt with deck mechanisms before :lol: ). I made a few snap shots and compared them with the ones posted by k2j. They look identical:

Posted Image

It does help to be able to see and compare the pictures of other boomboxes. So, now I need to figure out what is wrong. As I said, my problem was that the cassette carriage was stuck in the lifted up state. By looking at the capstan mechanism and playing with it I figured out that it is possible to lower the carriage by rotating the flywheel.

Posted Image

There is a gear on the flywheel shaft (#1) that is connected to the gear #2. As I understand, when I rotate flywheel this causes movement of gear #2 and this moves the cassette carriage. Without a working mechanism it's not that easy to figure out how exactly this assembly is supposed to work. Perhaps someone familiar with this mechanism (or are they all similar?) knows how it works? I wonder why the cassette carriage does not drop under its own weight. Should it? BTW, I can see that the motor is working but flywheel is not rotating. Could it be a simple case of bad belts? They look OK though. Any hints would be appreciated.

#32 bantytfv

bantytfv
  • Members (SA)
  • 248 posts
  • LocationEast TN. USA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have the same problem with play mode not being able to stay engaged. I have repaired the plastic piece that breaks, and the spring is definitely holding tension correctly now. Still no luck, still kicks out after a couple of seconds. Incredibly bad (or cost saving) design engineering on certain parts of these decks. Any thoughts?

#33 uawlou

uawlou
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationminneapolis minnesota usa

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I have resolved my issue with the BLOCKBUSTER after a long break to regain my sanity. k2j is showing exactly what my issue was. The spring creates tension that "pushes" the carriage into the play position. I am surprised, because of the way they designed this, it worked out of the box. A very thin molded plastic piece has the duty to retain the spring pressure. Inevitably doomed to fail. Once the spring tension is returned...and I used a combination of glue and jb weld on the original piece, the machine works as intended. Thanks for all support. Kelley

You all have helped me understand this problem much better, thank you. Does any one have a good photo of a good, never broken spring with the original plastic piece in place? maybe that would help me to position the spring properly, because I still can't get my tape deck to play.

#34 Alberto

Alberto
  • Members (SA)
  • 565 posts
  • LocationWallingford,Ct. USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

It will be a great discovery, if we can find a fix for this common problem. :huh:

#35 k2j

k2j
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have resolved my issue with the BLOCKBUSTER after a long break to regain my sanity. k2j is showing exactly what my issue was. The spring creates tension that "pushes" the carriage into the play position. I am surprised, because of the way they designed this, it worked out of the box. A very thin molded plastic piece has the duty to retain the spring pressure. Inevitably doomed to fail. Once the spring tension is returned...and I used a combination of glue and jb weld on the original piece, the machine works as intended. Thanks for all support. Kelley

You all have helped me understand this problem much better, thank you. Does any one have a good photo of a good, never broken spring with the original plastic piece in place? maybe that would help me to position the spring properly, because I still can't get my tape deck to play.

I saw your post and had the intention of pulling apart another SCR-8 that I have that worked perfectly. BUT, last week while playing a cassette the plastic piece on it BROKE, no joke. So, I tore it apart, wedged in the little zip-tie plastic piece and it works just like my blockbuster does -> perfectly.

It may be a brute force fix and plastic gears may eventually break by fixing it with this method. But, fingers crossed my blockbuster has worked flawless ever since...

#36 Alberto

Alberto
  • Members (SA)
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

From what I've read and after looking at all the pics it looks like the problem is in the spring. It is compressed maybe from the head assembly not being used and in the down position, and that is why the piece of tywrap worked. If you take that spring out and open it up and reinstall it, it will have more pressure on the head assembly forcing it up. :thumbsup:

#37 uawlou

uawlou
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationminneapolis minnesota usa

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Alberto, thanks for the spring idea. Um, which spring are you talking about. Could you possibly post some photos of your fix? I am having this problem also and it has been both fun to work on and infuriating!
TIA.

#38 Alberto

Alberto
  • Members (SA)
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

The tension spring ( wire ) in the same area and just below the nylon piece you just inserted. That nylon piece that you just added is doing what that spring is suppose to do. It has lost its force to push the play assembly up maybe because it has been in the down position so long from not being used. :-D