HITACHI TRK-8080 AU

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Box of Boom

Member (SA)
Dec 18, 2011
Sydney/Australia/Earth
Hi there
I picked up one of these boxes for cheap. It mostly works but is poor cosmetically. I was hoping someone would have some time to give me some tips on sourcing spares/internal and external maintenance.

Firstly I can't pull off some of the knobs ie. volume, bass, treble. I don't want to break it. Do I just pull harder?
Anyone had any luck getting some paint splatters of the plastic casing using metho or something else?
The cassette door looks like a sheet of perspex. Has anyone replace theres by cutting a new piece of perspex?
I am missing the battery cover ... anyone got a spare? (I will love you long time)
I am missing an aerial ... do I need the exact aerial for replacement?
One of the VU meters is not working - How do I fixy ?
When I dismantle ... what do I spray with deoxit so everything sounds og ?
What cleaning agents do people use for chrome/chrome coated plastic knobs/external other bits?

I will have a thousand other questions as this progresses. Any help you can offer will be received with grattitude. I will now supply some pics :)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
There are tons of posts regarding restoration tips in the Restorations & Customizations section:

viewforum.php?f=47

One tip: Novus 3-step plastic polish should clear up that cassette door just fine.

As for the parts needed, I suggest posting your list in the appropriate "parts wanted" section.

The TRK-8080 is a beauty of a boombox. Looking forward to see how it progresses. :yes:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Man be VERY careful on that top piece under the knobs - its brushed aluminum and scratches and wears off if you even look at it wrong...how do i know? Well, I have one and scrubbed a bit too hard. Now there are permanent swirls in my box (need to get a pic).

Ya, the knobs do pop off. be sure to pry evenly from opposite sides as to not break them. good luck.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I usually pry knobs after taking back off from inside using a screwdriver to evenly pry upward, that way no damage happens to outside of box :thumbsup:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Take the knobs off, open up the box and remove the metal trim on top and gently hand-rub it with baking soda and water. Not too hard or you will scratch it. You can also use one of those Walmart electronic wipes but those don't really do much.

Unfortunately sometimes there is clear-coat on top of the metal and you can't really improve its appearance unless you strip it down to bare metal and apply new clear coat, but if you did that you would destroy the lettering.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Ya its tough. great looking box, but soooo sensitive makes it a difficult one to restore indeed. the tape door seems to be worn easily too.

Bummer, but I still really enjoy it! Funny, mines missing the battery cover as well...hmmm :hmmm:

The Box of Boom

Member (SA)
Dec 18, 2011
Sydney/Australia/Earth
Thanks for the tips :) I will be careful with the brushed aluminium. Has anyone tried Silvo on it before. It did a great job on some chrome on my sk-350 but I don't want to wreck the lettering on the aluminium.

I have managed to take the knobs off and I have spent probably two hours in front of the TV (watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer) polishing my knob(s)
They are starting to look shiny and new - except for the little indentations around the circumfrence that you grip onto. That seems like to much hard work.

No matter how hard I pull - the cassette buttons won't pull off. I am either a wimp or they are not suppose to come off.

I have got the box open and I had to pull a few wires off pins to be able to fully seperate the box. I have taken photos and written hand notes as to where things go. I remember pulling a bike apart with the intention of giving it a clean and spray job but I could not remember where all the bits went :huh:

The box is so dirty inside. I can't wait to get it clean.

There is a middle section with the electronics that seems like it is nearly coming ready to pull out but something is holding it in. I am not sure if it is a screw I can't see or the cassette buttons ??

I am still keen to hear some deoxit tips if anyone can point me to a previous post that would be great.

Thanks again - I will keep you informed of my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.