Blank Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainlife

Member (SA)
Dec 12, 2011
TN
I'm starting to notice that sealed blank tapes seem to be worth quite a bit of money for some reason, why is this? And what makes some more valueable than others?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
More specifically - "good" sealed tapes. Type I (Normal) bias cassettes don't really provide a high-quality recording, but if all you record is the radio, then a Type I will suffice.

Usually, any Type IV (Metal) cassette that is sealed will bring the most money. Some of the Type II cassettes like the Maxell XLS-II are excellent CrO2 tapes. Also factor in a person's preference - some people prefer TDK over Maxell. Others might prefer BASF.

For more information regarding cassette types:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Ca ... ette_types

Mountainlife

Member (SA)
Dec 12, 2011
TN
So people are buying these to actually record on, not to just collect?

Help me understand why some of these .. even just looking at metal tapes are going for anywhere from $2 to $100

what's the diff what makes some more desireable or collectable?

Thanks for your time!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Funny thing is, no matter what kind of tape I'm playing, I always leave the selector on Normal. The other settings cut the highs too much.

Mountainlife said:
I'm starting to notice that sealed blank tapes seem to be worth quite a bit of money for some reason, why is this? And what makes some more valueable than others?
1) Like Boomboxes, they don't make the good ones anymore. Tapes are still made, but only Type 1's, and I believe there is only one factory in Thailand (Imation). This factory produces Sony EF's and TDK D's although there has been talk recently that TDK D's are starting to disappear off the shelves. There are a few very low quality chinese brands still available, but they are not worth the plastic they are wrapped in.

2) As others have posted, Metal tapes are the most desirable, both for collectors and people that record on them. Scarcity and desirability determine prices. Ebay can be a guide, but don't pay ebay prices for high end metals! People still make recordings with the rarer tapes. I guess it's not rare if you have boxes of them in your stash.

The guys on Tapeheads.net forums always have cassettes for sale, plus it's a good forum for reel to reel tape as well.

Bottom line, if in your travels you see any sealed metal tapes grab them. If you see any used metal tapes grab them, if you see any sealed chrome tapes grab them. If you see any sealed Type 1's from the 70's and early 80's grab them. They are only getting rarer.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Terry said:
...If you see any used metal tapes grab them,...
So true, Terry. Used metal bias tapes, unless they are just absolutely trashed, can be used many times over without noticeable loss in quality (with the proper setup). I have found a few at local thrift stores and snag them whenever I see them. I keep hoping I'll find a TDK MA-R in the pile one day. :-)

dartbarlow

Member (SA)
Apr 6, 2010
Strānj-Bōōmbŏks said:
Hey Mountainlife brother! :-)

Metal (Type IV) tapes are the ones that reproduce the nicest sound quality out of the rest... also, for the people who don't like to record on them, they're the most collectible (rare)... Take care bro!!! :thumbsup:
YES ! Totally . . . . .AND . . . . . the deal with Metal tapes is that you can record onto them at a higher recording volume without distortion
and they handle the low end better without over saturating and reproduce the highs better than other tapes.
THUS a better sinal to noise ration higher plackback volume !
You must have a Metal switch to record with metal yet playing back on Type 1 or Type II bias selection can
be even crispier ! oh and with higher recording volume you really do not need dbx / dolby or whatever.

You really need a tape deck that has good meters to get the best level for recording, i have typically
been able to record at +4 to +6 with Metal type IV tapes.
and then price varies based on manufacturer and availability / rarity.

Rock On !
ANALOG RULES !

Mountainlife

Member (SA)
Dec 12, 2011
TN
I know that I used to know all thi stuff when I was a kid, I was the mixtape master! But I have so long gone and forgotten it all, dubbing tricks, tips, the best tapes, noise etc lol

Just trying to figure out of people are buying and paying high prices for blank tapes to record on or because they are collectible

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Mountainlife said:
Just trying to figure out of people are buying and paying high prices for blank tapes to record on or because they are collectible
I would say it's a little bit of both. A true tape aficionado will pay money for what he considers to be the best cassette tape. Remember, the really good stuff is not being made anymore. :-/

I try to find open tapes (good CrO2 TDKs or anything Metal) to record on. Usually, I'll keep the sealed tapes sealed unless I have lots of duplicates.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Fatdog said:
I try to find open tapes (good CrO2 TDKs or anything Metal) to record on. Usually, I'll keep the sealed tapes sealed unless I have lots of duplicates.
I'll second that, I try to keep the sealed tapes sealed because once you open them value and collectibility take a big hit.
Fortunately I've found enough good used tapes so I don't have to open the sealed tapes.

Brownlow

Member (SA)
Jul 15, 2010
Normal Type I tape can produce good results if you have, for example, a well set up 3 Head Cassette deck. Type I tapes like TDK AD-X and Maxell XLI-S can produce performance levels that would come close to some middle of the road chromes. These tapes as sealed blanks are prohibitive in terms of cost as well. As stated earlier, Type II and Type IV tapes when recorded well can sound breathtaking. I think people have re-realised how good tape sounds. The sadness is though, the price of good cassette decks have been on the rise for a few years.

Good luck in your pursuit. :-) :-)

Cheers

Brownlow

dartbarlow

Member (SA)
Apr 6, 2010
Last time i bought tapes at a store cost me $2.00 each for Standard XLII and that was
a very long time ago.
Seems like the prices for what is available are actually not that bad considering the situation.
i have noticed so many posts about high prices for tapes which i dont understand.

i see all types I ...II ....IV ...and brands selling all the time at erratic prices sometimes low sometimes high
yet they keep on selling and i think more than they did 3 and 4 years ago it is amazing.

AND SO ....my point really.....is that it was the INDUSTRY ...that decided this , not the consumer....
the whole system is supposed to work on supply and demand yet they forgot that . . .
instead . . . they take products away and introduce new tech when there is no real demand
and tell us that we want it !

i am glad to have a good source for tapes so i consider myself lucky not to have to worry about price
for good XLII etc. tapes . . . . and really as cool as metal tapes are all they do in the long run is destroy heads
unless you want to de-magnetize and clean your heads and path ALOT ! it is a trade off . . .. i gues sthats all fer now . . .

Later Ya'll !
ANALOG RULES !

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Good topic! I picked up a bunch of Cr02 tapes today at garage sales, a few Maxell and a few TDK..
Also picked up a home stereo cassette deck, bout to try some recordings off CD to it.. Has the DBX option too

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
People are still using them to write to, I like to tape house of hair and jam out too it during the week. Also some audiophiles are making mix tapes and selling/trading them, also making calibration tapes for players etc. There is still a demand for them. :yes:

They will slowly disappear and rise in price IMHO.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Yeah I was excited when I got 5 of them at a Garage sale for a buck! THe chicks I was with couldn't understand why I was pumped about some High-bias cassette tapes.. lol
Just recorded Cd onto one and loved the quality! Sounded just as good as the Cd with the right input level..
Also, like Reli said I could tell it sounded better on "Normal" recording compared to the CR02 setting.. left the Dolby settings off as well..
I have about a dozen of type II tapes now, gonna make a few mix tapes for jammin! :thumbsup:

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
Yeah, I was surprised to see how high the prices have gotten for tapes these days - not even talking about reel cassettes!!

Reli said:
Funny thing is, no matter what kind of tape I'm playing, I always leave the selector on Normal. The other settings cut the highs too much.
WORD!! You don't know how many times I've put it on 'Metal' for metal bias tapes and have been disappointed, even when I recorded on my 3-head Sony cassette deck. The 'Metal' position has NEVER worked good for me!

I'm no fan of audio cassettes but I bought a lot of 3 TDK MA110 Metal bias tapes on eBay for $25... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0807713183 with plans of gutting 'em and throwing the actual tape in 3 of the normal bias reel cassettes I have (love the look, hate the sound), just mostly for display purposes for videos and whatnot.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
MONOLITHIC said:
I bought a lot of 3 TDK MA110 Metal bias tapes on eBay for $25... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0807713183 with plans of gutting 'em and throwing the actual tape in 3 of the normal bias reel cassettes I have (love the look, hate the sound), just mostly for display purposes for videos and whatnot.
Hi Mono - Be careful doing this, as the full 110mins of tape probably won't fit properly. Reel tapes typically use larger hubs than the MA110. IMHO, you'll have less frustration (and potentially less waste) using tape out of a metal C-60 to make yourself a better-quality reel tape for demo purposes. And keep those 110's to make some long mixtapes with your favorite tracks for everyday listening.

As to the overall topic at hand... There are some really good points brought up in this thread already, but since I can't stay away from a tape related topic, I'll add my thoughts as well... :-D

I think there are really two types of tape buyers at opposite ends of the tape-buying spectrum. On one end you have the die-hard collectors who want still-sealed tapes for their collection or to even hoard for eventual resale (speculation) and at the other end you have die-hard tapeheads who are buying tapes to actually use them. Most of us probably fall somwhere in between.

In addition to boomboxes, I also have a small collection of quality tape decks and still make lots of mixtapes (compilations and actual DJ mixes). When I noticed NOS (New Old Stock = still sealed) tape prices were starting to rise, I did some hunting on ebay and Craigslist and have now acquired a fair sized stash of sealed tapes that will probably last me the rest of my life... I've pretty much stopped buying sealed tapes now, but continue to cherry-pick through used tapes in thrift shops whenever and wherever I see them, and now have an equally large stash of quality, gently used tapes to record over. I will probably end up keeping most of my not-so-common sealed tapes intact and only open the ones I have in mutiples and for "critical" recording sessions (like if a DJ buddy comes over and we record a session).

For the most part, my preferences are Maxell, TDK, Fuji and Sony type II and type IV tapes (of which I have plenty) but I've also recently discovered the awesome sound that "super ferric" type I tapes can yield (like the Maxell XLI-S & TDK AD-X). Especially when recorded on a properly serviced and calibrated top-shelf tape deck.

And as to the comment about metal tapes damaging heads or requiring more demagnetization or cleaning than other types of tapes, I've never noticed that behavior in over 30 years of tape recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.