TBG - The big Philips secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
Attention!

We are now going to bring light in PHILIPS most incredible secret!
the TURBO BASS GENERATOR !!!!! :w00t:

some boxes of the moving sound aera owns it.
But the most crazy one is: "the ear" :lol:

This unit blows away a JVC kaboom without doubts!!! :lol: :-P

F*ck : made in malaysia. Everything screwes with torx screws. Now i am screwed... :annoyed:
Got a set of torx screwdrivers.
F*ck again! too short!!! :thumbsdown:

lent me XL torx screwdrivers.
Too short!!! :-O See, it falls complete in the hole.
So i would need XXL drivers :huh:

afte a million of screws and a ton of hidden clips (yes, i broke some) it finally opened!

Hey, big fake?!? Only 2 tiny speakers!!!??? :no: :hmmm:

No! there is really a sub behind! :w00t:

So it is a really "ear" :lol:

Ok, dont expect big bass. But it is ok for this tiny one. ;-)

Think it is one of the most crazy boomboxes ever... :angelic:

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
mmcodomino said:
There should be a boombox magazine released with a section called "Roman's philips Croner" where you can reveal stuff like that! :thumbsup:
In my time there had exist a company newspaper. :yes:
Remember ist was called "Philips reporter" with all interesting things for the working people.
Wish i had saved a few of them.... :-/

But i have learned.
From our tram magazine i save every number. :yes:
Maybe because the most articles inside comes from me.... :lol:

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Hmmm... :hmmm: That generator looks like 3-4" bass speaker in a 6th order bandpass enclosure!! If I see correctly, the wide range speakers magnet closes a part of the tube that holds the bass speaker. Then the notches act as bass reflex ports. The "ear" is actually divided to front and rear reflex ports (upper and lower). Only a fracture of the air compressed in the front enclosure is let out by the side port. The rest are blown in to the chassis, I think they are ment to cool down the electronics on high volume levels. Seems like the back enclosure features a higher displacement and longer ports and boosts the low frequencies, as the front enclosure is very small but has larger ports. That means higher tuning frequency and less possible noise from moving air.

This is the most complicated box I've EVER seen!!! :drool:

Replacing that driver with something from Tangband could make it something that sounds like Turbo Bass Generator! They have some really mean mini drivers!

Model - Sensitivity - Lowest resonance frequency
w3-2052s - 78dB - 50Hz
w3-2000 - 80dB - 55Hz
w3-1876s - 76dB - 55Hz
w4-1720 - 86dB - 60Hz

But first, one should take measures from the driver, pick a suitable drivers from Tangband (or others, but they are known for ridiculous bass). Then, should measure the volume of each enclosure (could be done with water) and estimate the measures of each reflex port. After that, take WinISD or WinISDpro (I prefer the second one) and insert the values for the drivers, then the volumes of the enclosures and start attempting to find a solution that makes a decent curve.

A word about 6th order bandpass. I'm in love for them. Done right, they are highly sensitive, give lower bass than normal reflex and have acoustic low pass. So in some cases, they can be used without any kind off crossover. They have front and back enclosures, both vented. Smaller box (usually front) is tuned for high frequency and bigger is tuned for low frequency.

Thinking it now. It is absolutely the perfect pick for a boombox. The problem is that designing them takes time and consideration and a suitable driver.

Thank You ViennaSound! As of now, You are my hero in boombox thingies, after sharing this secret!

EDIT: What is the model number of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.