Lasonic 935 cassette door alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
so i have this 935 that doesn't work, the clock is fried and has very little potential overall. i plan on cannibalizing its cassette doors for use on a 975 that's otherwise in very good shape. but i have a problem with "what ifs." like, what if, i eventually get the 935 working? it'll be missing doors now. anyone have any ideas on alternative doors? taken from another, cheaper, less desirable box? not like it has to be functional. the decks are dead anyway.

:huh:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
you could cut plexiglass to fit into the deck well holes on the 935 and use the good cassette doors on the 975 ,as far as i know the 935 and 975 use the same cassette mechs so you might be able to get the decks on the 975 working using parts from both boxes. if you need the plexi glass cut for you let me know cuz i have all the tools to do it.

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
hmmm i'm still open to ideas anyone else has but that's a pretty good one floyd. i just might need to enlist your help on this one. i'm thinking if we went with the plexi and the decks are dead anyway...maybe slapping some dummy reel tapes in there with some led illumination might look cool on my desk.

:hmmm:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
it would look cool ,all you have to do is paint the out side edges of the plexi glass black to cover the border area and just use velcro to hold them in place.

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
that is pretty genius floyd. probably the best and most practical too. no wonder you're doing big things with that m90 project. can i paypal you some dosh to cover the plexi and s&h?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i got the plexiglass 1/4 inch lexan the best! give me about a week to get them done then i'll let you know what the shipping is i dont want any money to do it. its nice to see you posting again .

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
A while back I put a plexiglass door on my Blockbuster. I went to a mom and pop hardware store and told them I needed a very small piece.A worker went to the backroom and got some scrap plexiglass from much larger cuttings.He cut it down to my specification.Total price = " $0.oo " :w00t: These pieces are evidently just thrown away.

When I arrived home I put Velcro hook and loop on the door frame and the edges of the cassette door.I applied some silver electrical marking tape as an outline around the edge of the door.This covered the area where the Velcro would have otherwise been seen. It looks amazingly like a standard variety cassette door. Most people don't even notice that it's home made unless I tell them.

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
yeah thanks jovie! great idea. that's almost exactly how floyd's helping me out. he's saving me from getting that "you wanna do what?" look on the hardware store worker's face though by using his 935 as a template. and he's doing a little something extra. then i've got another idea of my own. i'll get some pics as soon as the project is finished so we can see how well we did.

:-D

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
yes it works when you dont have a replacement :yes: i have a discolight with a plexiglass on one of the decks it was missing the plastic cover since the complete door was there all i had to do was cut the piece which ira greatfully helped me with that now all i have to do is paint it or get fatdog to make a sticker that will look like the other door :yes: :yes:

TRC-911

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2009
Fort Knox
I would use plexiglass and do the I-mod. then you could see your ipod and it would still have a function :yes:

I have saved many boomboxes by doing this

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
great idea as well 911! :-) maybe with a different player though?

i'm a bit anti-apple :thumbsdown: with steve jobs and his iMacs & iBooks & iPods & iPhones & iDocks and everything integrated apple with his iLife dreams with his iLiver. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.