Ebay score...a 935!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009

Not too long ago I saw this Lasonic TRC-935 on Ebay.Now it's mine and it just arrived today! I was a bit surprised when I won this for $102.00. Personally I thought I would never be able to win on one of these as it is pretty much top of the line for Lasonic.I thought I'd be in for more of a fight.Does anyone know if they made a more powerful model than the 935?

Before it arrived I was rather nervous about its condition and the packing habits of the seller.Recently I have gotten some damages and it has been very frustrating.When it arrived I was happy to find it in one piece and functional.The condition is pretty close to new.I'm happy because these glitzy plastic boxes can look pretty bad if things are broken on them.

The only things missing on this box was 3 cassette keys.Luckily I found a Lasonic LPC-990 3-piece at a Tampa thriftstore a couple of years ago that has an identical cassette key design.The only difference is that they are not chromed.I managed to pull one key successfully from the 990 and fit it on my new 935.The other don't seem to come off as easy.I'm going to wait until i can secure an extra long screwdriver to open up the rather deep case of the 990 for easier access to them.Then perhaps I can use some silver paint to bring them closer to a chrome finish.

I've never liked the sound of my 990.For some reason it doesn't seem to have very good highs.It might be a problem with its 10 band equalizer.The box was complete when I bought it for $9.99.When needing a cassette key for my TRC-920T I decided to pull it from the 990.Now I'll need 2 more of these off the 990 so it has become something of a parts box now.Does anyone have experience with a 990.Should it be a good sounding box?

Full blown volume testing of my new TRC-935 will have to wait until tomorrow morning as I can't do it at home.I have however done some checking out of it's various function.There are parts of the LED clock display not showing up.I have to wonder if it's possible to fix this.As I said the box is pretty close to new and very clean.Both original antennae are there and clip into position.The ten band equalizer seems to work including the glowing LED lights on the front of each slider.This is really cool looking when the box is powered up.The radio works perfectly.One cassette is slow and the other has a belt slipped off.no problem as I have a fairly reliable deck man in town who charges fair prices.Most importantly the CD/line-in works great with very good sensitivity.My initial impression is that this thing has some serious bass :thumbsup: ! Highs seem to be very good but I'll have to wait and see if they're really as obnoxious as I like them to be :lol: One strange thing with this box is a slight bow in its handle.I've seen this on other boxes and have always wondered what in the world could have caused it.Has anyone else seen this on boomboxes?What causes this to happen?

There is a girl at work who managed to find a TRC-975 locally with a lot of problems.It was missing a lot of buttons also.She was quick to call me after finding this I'm thinking just to brag.The shop didn't want to tackle fixing it for her.She said she would consider selling it to me. In it's condition it couldn't be worth a whole lot.I'm hoping she will sell it to me as a parts box so I can use its chromed cassette keys and return the lpc-990s non chromed key so it will also be complete.

Persistence pays off I guess but this one really wasn't on my radar screen to be honest.I've been struggling to find a switch workaround for my TRC-931thinking that would be about as big a Lasonic as I'd ever be able to afford.Of course I'm still going to try fixing it as it's certainly the best looking Lasonic ever IMO.

Some time ago I remember Daiwa finding one of these offered by an Ebay seller who lived close to him.As I remember he worked a deal with that seller when he went to see it in person.After he took custody I found his writeup to be quite informative.One of his comments was that the sound could be "brutal" if pushed hard and high.This statement intrigued me at the time.If this box has highs to match the bass I've already experienced from this monster I'm going to be a very happy camper indeed!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey jovie --nice win --

sometimes boxes go for 6 days on ebay --with no interest-
and then --just when we expect it to explode$$ in the final minute --
nobody bids :-) :-/ :-D

i am always happy to see a good box on ebay with some missing parts --
the final prices are often less than 1/2 what it might have been :-)

appleknocker

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
indiana
That is awesome. I love the 935 - I think it sounds great and doesn't really get enough credit for it. I'm glad it made it safe and that is a really sweet price too.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
these are one of the best crankin boxes you will find i mean they are LOUD! and almost no distortion even at high volume , the sheer power is amazing.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Congratulations Jovie! That's a supremely boss ghettoblaster!
Looking forward to more of your impressions of it.

The 935 is on my grails list, but I'm going to have to wait a while.

Well done Jovie!

Rock On.

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
Congratulations, Jovie! :cool: $102... :cool: :cool:

It amazes me how much less those 935's sell in comparison to the 975's... To me, the 975 is a better looking box design-wise, but it's basically the same box. Those 935's are HIGHLY slept on. I'd get one!

Bowed handles... I've seen those too - mostly on the big Lasonics... It's not like they're bowed up from being carried around a lot either. Strange... :-/

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Thanks guys!When I put the box in the passengers seat of the car this morning,I got a very rude surprise!Something fairly heavy fell to one end with a loud "clunk"! :annoyed: I decided to take it back inside the house and wait until I could open it up to see what it was.Before I actually left the house I plugged it in and it still seems to work fine.I just hope whatever it is didn't impact one of the speaker cones.Anybody have an idea what it might be?

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Jovie-Very nice Lasonic 935.
I was looking at one of those but didn't know much about it.
Is it vintage?? and what year??
I hope that whatever went clunk is o.k. and fixable.
It is a very nice looking box!
Have agreat one-GB. :-)

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
What year?That's a good question.Maybe someone could clue us in.I can tell you that the input is labeled "CD -in".That suggests to me it was probably after 1985.Though manufacturers began skimping on power about that time,I believe companies like this continued to produce powerful boxes for a few more years.Boxes like my Lasonic continued to be sold in electronics boutiques,specialty shops,and by mail.Someone correct me please if I'm wrong on this.Anybody know an exact date for the 935?

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Thanks Jovie-Are those square speakers or round??
I really like it and if it rocks,I'll have to get one someday soon.
Have a great one-GB. :-)

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
They came out in the late 80's - DEFINITELY - maybe around 1988. I got my 931 in late '86/early '87 and know that the 935's weren't out yet. :-/

:hmmm: I hope that clunk wasn't the transformer breaking loose from the plastic posts! That would not be a good thing, obviously!

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Ghettoboom-There are square black speaker covers edged in chrome affixed to the front of the box by hex screws. If you unscrew the covers there are round woofers behind them.

monolithic- I was thinking the same thing.Is it bad to use it with a broken away transformer.It would seem to me that remounting it somehow shouldn't be too difficult. Though It still works, I'm a bit nervous to continue using it until I get a closer look what happened inside the box.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
jovie i would open it up and look around, something clunking around inside doesn't sound good and might short something out or ?? :sadno:

might just be some plastic to glue or maybe at that score of a price they put a gold bar inside! :w00t:

good score no matter what..

Status
Not open for further replies.