anyone know anything about a Sansui G-5500 receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
A guy at work gave me this receiver to check out, I took the cover off and found a blown fuse, replaced it, plugged it in, press power switch and fuse just blows. I found some info about it, some people say it's a good little ( not physically) receiver 55 watts x 2, big sucka, other people say it's ok if you can find one cheap and working. Freddie the Sansui expert what say you?

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
hey that looks cool tony fuse burn not sure but could be the power audio ics but cant say for sure i remember having a sansui reciever back in the days with a bad transformer,,i never found an original one so i ended up salvaging a motorola base radio so i pulled the tranformer out of that and since the reciever was given to me well i had nothing to lose , so i tried the transformer and i got the sucker to work wow but that was way back then :-) :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That's definitely a nice looking receiver. :yes: I hope you get it figured out, Tony. :afro:

Superduper

Member (SA)
ahardb0dy said:
this thing is big, like pioneer 1980 big but not as heavy or powerful
Not by a long shot Tony, not by a long shot. As sansui's go, it's one of the smaller ones. To get with the big boys, you need to go all the way up to the G8000 and G9000's and those are big, although still not quite as big (beefy) or anywhere near as heavy as the SX-1980.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
If it was given to you for free and you have a potential use for it, I'd consider having it fixed locally. Even if it's rated at just 60wpc, it'll pretty much fill any normal sized room with good sound when matched with decent speakers.

I know a guy in Tampa who can surely fix it for a reasonable price.... His name is Ted and his shop is called Audio Laboratories on Henderson Blvd. It would probably be cheaper to find a working one on eBay, though.

Did you do any research to see what they sell for on ebay in working condition? IIRC, while not as desirable as the TOTL big boys, the mid and lower Sansui G-series receivers are also somwhat sought after. Not everybody needs to have triple digit wpc and the look alone is worth hooking up some speakers.

Good luck whichever way you go!

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
spoke to my co-worker today who gave me the receivers, told him what I found and he said he didn't want any of them back, said they were given to him. So I'm going to take the Sansui up to the tech and see if he can give me an estimate on what may be wrong with it, not going to spend a fortune to have it repaired, unless he wants to fix it and try to sell it for me. It's not a bad looking receiver and if it turns out to be a simple problem I'll have it repaired and keep it. The Yamaha and the tivo will be tossed in the trash.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
spoke to the tech today he fixed the sansui and cleaned it all up, he said the thing sounds incredible, as good as the 300 watt 2 pc sansui receiver, said it was a joy to work on as the parts were common parts not anything unique to sansui, now all I have to do is pay him for his work, going to go look at it on saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.