Hitachi 8180 problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeladamkrueger

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2011
I´m having some problems with my 8180 that I could really use some input on! :'-( I´m pretty fresh on fixing electronics so basically ANY tips are must appreciated!

Firstly the cassette deck doesn´t work. the motor makes some noise like it´s trying to run when play is pressed. That most likely means that it´s the belt right? Is there anything else that it can be? Anyway to "troubleshoot" it?

I screwed off the back and took a couple wires out but it looked like there was SO MUCH that had to be removed to get at the cassette. Will any wires have to be resoldered or are they slip on/off?

Secondly, lastly and actually the most worrisome(!), the bass starts sounding really bad at about volume four on any song with a little bit of kick. The bass on the left speaker gives out first, and if the volume is turned up a little more or the balance is flipped to the right the right one starts to fail as well... Instead of kicking it just kind of vibrates. This description probably doesn´t say much tell what more info you would need to diagnose and I´ll do my best! I just hope that it is something that can be fixed! :huh:

teamstress

Member (SA)
Aug 24, 2009
chicopee, ma, usa
The bass problem could just be dirty pots. Try deoxit on them see if that helps.

As for deck access, I can't help you. I know some radios are much more difficult than others, like some Sanyos that require unsoldering to get to belts.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Not sure about 8180 but the 8080 once back is off frame with boards comes completely out if case :hmmm: may be same. All wiring should be just have plugs. You may want to buy a $20 small beater bbx to work on 1st though with inexperience ;-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
So I just changed belts in my 8080W and literally had to unsnap pc board off frame and move it to get to belts. Once I done this rebelting was simple :thumbsup:

joeladamkrueger

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2011
teamstress said:
The bass problem could just be dirty pots. Try deoxit on them see if that helps.

As for deck access, I can't help you. I know some radios are much more difficult than others, like some Sanyos that require unsoldering to get to belts.
Hm but there is virtually no crackling with the knobs, could it still be dirty pots? Kan the grills be screwed off from the front or are those screws just for looks? Thinking i could maybe see if there is damage on the surrounds or if there is a rip in the speaker from the front. Or is it better to get at them from the back a swell?

Thanks for the responses guys! It kind of sucks because I love the box but the fact that the bass doesnt sound very good kind of demotivates me to spend time and money on the cassette :- :sad: Well no matter what happens she still looks BADASS!!! :thumbsup: :surf: :cool:

muto

Member (SA)
Mar 13, 2010
Finland
It's the microswitch connected to the power switch. Some oil designed for potentiometers and switches will fix it. :breakdance:

joeladamkrueger

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2011
Reeally? That could be the bass problem? :hmmm: That sounds kind och strange! Where can I get that special oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.