Photo

JVC RC-656LB with a weird tape deck sound.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 edocronian

edocronian
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

So after scoring an ITT a few weeks ago, I seem to have caught the bug.

My latest fixer-upper is this slightly battered and grubby JVC 656. Mostly working apart from crackly pots, a temperamental tuner band switch and a headphone jack that cuts the left channel in and out. All fairly easy to fix I think.

There is one bigger problem with the tape deck that has me totally baffled. If I press play, I get this sound

My feeling is either some RF shielding for the motor or a cap somewhere has gone bad. Anyone have any ideas?

Fanx

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 TRC-911

TRC-911
  • Members (SA)
  • 762 posts
  • LocationFort Knox

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

I don't know how to fix it, but that is a very nice box :yes:

#3 Brownlow

Brownlow
  • Members (SA)
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

So after scoring an ITT a few weeks ago, I seem to have caught the bug.

My latest fixer-upper is this slightly battered and grubby JVC 656. Mostly working apart from crackly pots, a temperamental tuner band switch and a headphone jack that cuts the left channel in and out. All fairly easy to fix I think.

There is one bigger problem with the tape deck that has me totally baffled. If I press play, I get this sound

My feeling is either some RF shielding for the motor or a cap somewhere has gone bad. Anyone have any ideas?

Fanx

Hi Edocronian,

Welcome to the world of BB. I have that boomer and it is a lovely sounding unit. It would appear that there must be something fundamental with this model, as I have the same sound on cassette playback. I thought it was probably a motor issue too, but it was one of those projects....'I'll get round to it soon'

Good luck. :yes:

Cheers

Brownlow

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

#4 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,503 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like your tape deck farted :lol: .

#5 docs

docs
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Sounds to me like you need to insert a blank tape and press record/stop on the tape deck a lot.
Also try and use some contact cleaner on the record arm inside and while you are at it do all of the switches and knobs too.

#6 edocronian

edocronian
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Sounds to me like you need to insert a blank tape and press record/stop on the tape deck a lot.

Funny you said that.

The record button was one thing I'd not checked. jimmied the sensor inside with my finger, pressed record, hit stop.

Fixed!

:-O

Amazing.

#7 docs

docs
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Glad you got it working, np. :thumbsup: