Trouble With GF-8989 FF & Rew? This Should Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi everyone-I have 2 Sharp GF-8989II's and I even bought one new in 81' so I know about the trouble with the Rew & FF being sluggish after some usage over years.
The one thing that the 8989's and similar models have in common is the rewind and fast forward wheels within the flyweel get gummed up and get dirty and thus slip!
No it's not the belts,at least most of the time it's the little FF & Rew wheels under the flyweel & the spring that engages the little wheel,especially the rewind can loose their springiness & therefore cause not enough pressure on the inside of the wheel against the flyweel!
This is kind of a poor design as the flyweel spins and therefore get's dust & dirt in the inner side of the flyweel because of the upper draft movement where the small little wheels spin against the inner flyweel & thus slippage!

The trick is to clean,clean,clean all the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol 91%+ and with q-tips clean off all the dirt & contaminants and then carefully put the flyweel back without touching the surfaces as the oil on your fingers will have an affect so be careful!

I have taken a couple of photos so you can see what I'm talking about.
Good luck with your FF & Rew,mine was a total success as both of mine are rewinding & Fast forwarding great!!
Only 1 has some sluggish rewinding but that's because I have to tighten or replace the rewind wheel spring engagement,that's a little more tricky as it's hard to get at the back part of the spring.
Hope this helps some of you out!
Have fun-Jeff. :-) :yes: :cool: :surf: :thumbsup:

-

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
A little late, but thanks for this post! I managed to restore my GF-8989 from being unable to ffwd/rewind to a powerful ffwd/rewind. In addition to cleaning the 2 idler wheels, I also roughed them slightly using sandpaper. Works as good as new now.

Status
Not open for further replies.