Are Lithium Batteries OK? Sorry Dumb Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Interesting question.....

While searching the internet....I found this:

"The advantage of using alkaline batteries is that they are cheaper and commonly available.
The advantage of lithium batteries is that they operate over a wider temperature range and have a longer life."

I hope other members join in to give us some information!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ser182

Member (SA)
Jul 10, 2011
Houston
I know they are most $$$$ but rechargeables are the way to go if you plan on using it a lot. that's what I am looking at. I found the same info a Lasonic did.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lithium batteries are the best and latest technologies but requires special chargers (if the rechargeable kind) since overcharging posts a real fire/explosion hazard.

BUT I've never heard of D sized lithium rechargeables or even D sized disposables. So unless you want to stuff AA disposables into D spacers, I'm not sure why you would ask that. But given their high cost, I would say won't hurt your baby, but they could possibly burn a hole in your purse faster than you can say "government wealth confiscation".

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Superduper said:
Lithium batteries are the best and latest technologies but requires special chargers (if the rechargeable kind) since overcharging posts a real fire/explosion hazard.

BUT I've never heard of D sized lithium rechargeables or even D sized disposables. So unless you want to stuff AA disposables into D spacers, I'm not sure why you would ask that. But given their high cost, I would say won't hurt your baby, but they could possibly burn a hole in your purse faster than you can say "government wealth confiscation".

Yes, activate open wallet and empty contents!

Those Beecrofts Glu was talking about a while ago look fab, but very pricey. I think they're lithium. I'll have to look it up, again.

:surf:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Holly -- you can get true D sized NiMH batteries with 10,000mAH ratings and since they have memory effect and can be recharged up to 500 times, I suggest you just get a set of those for your battery needs. They last a very long time and are very cost effective battery solutions. Forget the lithiums for now until they become more available and mainstream in standardized sizes.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
Superduper said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t:

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
One cell of a lithium battery is rated at 3.6 volts.
Thats why they cannot convert them to regular AA C D type cells.
So there usually an oddball size and shape.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
i would only use lithium on a camera or walkman thats about it .. regular d sized rechargables would be the best for bommers if u dont want to spend a fortune on alkaline but if it only going to see a bit of battery use then alkaline would be the way to go... :yes: :yes: :yes:

dragonhead00

Member (SA)
Apr 23, 2011
You can always opt for nickel metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeables. They have very similar pros as lithium ion rechargeables, but are cheaper and easier to recharge. The only con versus lithium is that the NiMH batteries lose a couple of percentages per day in charge while in storage, so NiMH have to be recharged fully before setting out. Neither has to be fully discharged before recharging. Good luck!

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
There two types

Lithium - 1.5 volt - not rechargable.
Lithium-ion - 3.6 volt - rechargable.

??#$%??

Lithium are too fancy a battery to use for a blaster.

dragonhead00

Member (SA)
Apr 23, 2011
One major positive point made about the use of rechargeables in modern day electronics is their stable power delivery where it concerns computer memory. Blasters don't really have that issue to deal with, so I suppose I would agree that lithium batteries are a bit fancy for old-school electronics. They won't hurt your box, but you may be paying for features that will be wasted on the blaster. It could be argued that the savings over constantly replacing conventional batteries makes rechargeables a good option. It's your ''baby''.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
dragonhead00 said:
One major positive point made about the use of rechargeables in modern day electronics is their stable power delivery where it concerns computer memory. Blasters don't really have that issue to deal with, so I suppose I would agree that lithium batteries are a bit fancy for old-school electronics. They won't hurt your box, but you may be paying for features that will be wasted on the blaster. It could be argued that the savings over constantly replacing conventional batteries makes rechargeables a good option. It's your ''baby''.

Yep....save the money and buy more blasters! :yes: :lol:

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Wow. This convo ended up more complicated than I thought. I know when I went from alkaline to lithiums in my camera it made a HUGE difference. But it seems those are made for computerized/electronic/digital type things.

THANKS EVERYONE!

agc

Member (SA)
Jun 1, 2010
Yes Holly, lithiums are better for modern digital stuff, because those chips need a consistent voltage. Once the voltage gets down to a certain level in those devices, it's all over. If you run a set of alkaline batteries in your digital camera, they'll 'die' fairly quickly but you can then take those 'dead' batteries and put them in a flashlight and it will still be nice and bright.
The vintage boomboxes and walkmans we all know and love consist of solid-state analog circuitry that will pretty much run until those batteries have truly had it. The earlier CD boxes are an exception to that rule; the CD player will quit due to 'weak' batteries but the tape deck and tuner will still function fine for quite awhile longer. :-)

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
agc said:
Yes Holly, lithiums are better for modern digital stuff, because those chips need a consistent voltage. Once the voltage gets down to a certain level in those devices, it's all over. If you run a set of alkaline batteries in your digital camera, they'll 'die' fairly quickly but you can then take those 'dead' batteries and put them in a flashlight and it will still be nice and bright.
The vintage boomboxes and walkmans we all know and love consist of solid-state analog circuitry that will pretty much run until those batteries have truly had it. The earlier CD boxes are an exception to that rule; the CD player will quit due to 'weak' batteries but the tape deck and tuner will still function fine for quite awhile longer. :-)
Thanks for the INFO!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.