Aiwa TPR-990H

Status
Not open for further replies.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Do you hapen to have a location of these fusible resistors please ? Where abouts are they and how many do i need to replace/purchase if they have gone ?
I have to clean the goo, especially off the lower deck control motor which is just really badly goo'd.
Any help appreciated.

EDIT: and how the heck do you get belts on the lower right wheels once they are clean ? And the belt for the counter ?
I really don't fancy the idea of taking the entire thing to pieces to put belts on :sad:
Am I supposed tot ake out all the white plastic chassis with everything connected to it ?
Any guidance to dismantling and replacing belts appreciated.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
doc all i remember was that i took the bottom section off where the bottom motor is and carefully looked at every screw that held every section together and proceded to take apart ,, just to get access to clean the wheels and replace the belts it had a gloob of goo 2 belts melted together so the mess was bigger,, doc somehow i managed to carefully put everything back together but noticed no power to that motor , norm pointed out there is a fusible link around were the motor gets it power ,, right now its been idle and have not worked on it but soon i will i want to get it all buttoned up.... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
monchito said:
doc all i remember was that i took the bottom section off where the bottom motor is and carefully looked at every screw that held every section together and proceded to take apart ,, just to get access to clean the wheels and replace the belts it had a gloob of goo 2 belts melted together so the mess was bigger,, doc somehow i managed to carefully put everything back together but noticed no power to that motor , norm pointed out there is a fusible link around were the motor gets it power ,, right now its been idle and have not worked on it but soon i will i want to get it all buttoned up.... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Thanks for the info, I've managed through about 12 stages to get at that area now and am getting all the goo off to replace the belts. Do you know if I put the deck back together without checking the fusable resistors I can get at them at a later point ? Whereabouts are they located ? I'm thinking that if I can get it back together to check it works I'll then know whether the fusable resisitors are good or bad ?

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
docs they are on the main board so u can put everything back together basicly thats the same thing i did i noticed i had power to the deck operation if i pressed the play it would do nothing but if i moved the wheel until the deck engaged en play and moved the wheel for it to engage stop,, thats where i noticed i had a problem but i thought it was a bad motor but i tested it and it turned so it was not the motor ,, the fusible link is on the mainboard..... :-)

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
on the 968 they are marked r201 r206 r208 basicly on the 968 the r208 is the fusible resistor for the motor.. yes the 968 uses the same deck but the board layout is a bit different but on the 990h i do not remember by hand and will have to look to see which on it is :-)

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the awesome info.

Update for me is that the deck is all back together with new belts and the functions partly work which hopefully means the fusable resistors are ok. ie: pause is stuck on pause, rewind and record can't be pressed, its almost like they are not positioned correctly with the deck section.
When I pressed play though the first time, all it did was a really loud screeching noise, realllllly loud. But pressing pause made it stick so it wont play again. Looks like the deck bit needs reseating into the bottom control section in a specific way for the controls to work, almost like they're not properly aligned ?!

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
Yes u have to get it in the right way it can easaly get out of alignment especialy the bottom section where the motor turns the wheels
Once u take it apart u have to make sure it put back correctly if not careful it might not work correctly..I think someone else posted about them having that problem but were able to correct :-)

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Great, thanks again for the info, appreciated.
I'll get back into it tonight and fix it. I have two other issues that I know of, the left speaker is ultra quiet so I'll try and clean all the switches and pots and give the recording arm on the deck some love and see if it helps that and it doen't work on batteries which I'll try and get to last.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
The deck is getting really frustrating now :-/

The REW and REC buttons will not press at all, maybe the record button needs tab presed to allow it but it is defintately not pressable at the moment and neither is REW.
There is an arm on a spring that stops REW being pressable. If i manually slide the arm I can press REW. There doesn't seem to be anything obvious that is wrong :(

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Partial success in putting the deck all back together.
The REW now functions, its to do with the arm in the picture above, if when putting the deck back together that is pinched and not free to move the REW will not work.
The RECORD button still will not press. But if I can find where the piece below goes I'll go back into it and try and suss out why that will not press. I have a feeling that the deck might be the least of my problems. The left channel still has very quiet sound.

I could use your help monchito/Superduper with a picture of your deck when/if you can please. I have a small piece that "fell" off the front of the deck somewhere.
Here is what it looks like.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
wow the only thing i remember is that unless the record tab is pushed it will not enter record it is supposed to do that so u dont accidently record on top of a good recording by mistake, if it gets pinched then there is something wrong when u are putting it back together ,, the piece on the bottom :hmmm: :hmmm: not sure

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
If you get chance to check your deck it would really help me identify where that part clips on. I suspect something is slightly out of position with the record somewhere.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
well i belive that i had to play with mine until i got it too work and it was the postion of the wheels,, after going though it a couple of times i was able to get it working ,, i belive i disconnected the side motor and used a walwart for power so the motor would continue spinning and then watched to see what was going on :-)

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I hear ya, I think mine are all looking ok now, I'll get it open again tonight and try and do some poking around the record mechanism and arm. I think if I can free that and get that pressable the deck is done with. JUst need to find where to place that silver piece on the top part of the deck section somewhere. I think it goes on the face down side (the front face of the deck closest the door). Thanks for all your pointers too.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
Superduper said:
Doc:
(1) PM me your email address again, I can help with the deck.
(2) The piece that fell off goes under the record lock lever so it's definitely related to why you can't record.
(3) As for pictures, forget it. No way in heck I am gonna disassemble the 990 again unless I have to. :no:
thanks norm :smooch: :smooch: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes thanks Norm, I've placed the part that came off but its just a wire protection and doesn't serve any function.
I'm almost at the end of my tether now with the record button not able to be pressed.

While checking the bottom function section out and wondering about the position of the cogs I noticed that they were all perfectly aligned and adding power makes them all realign if anything was pressed.
However, while trying to work out why record will not press, it suddenly pressed and worked, then depressed and will not press again. Like it went back to normal and can't be pressed again. arrrghh.
Initially I was thinking it needed to be in situe and needed something to be aligned for it to allow to be pressed but now I've had a single success with it all out the problem is definitely with the bottom control section, though what it is is beyond me :sad:
Offering it up for sale is getting closer :thumbsdown:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I know it goes without saying I'm sure you already know this but you do have either a recordable cassette in the tray or are holding down the record lockout lever, right?

Also, I suggest you use a 9v battery and power up the motors to allow "live" testing of the functions. It's true that if all you are doing is powering the lower motor, the only thing the gearbox does is cycle and reset the mechanism. The actual mechanism operation is carried out by the capstan motor. The lower section merely puts the respective cam into a position to be hooked by and converted into motion (and thereby the proper mode), by the upper cassette mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.