Crown CSC-980F 'In The Wild' Find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
This past Winter, I was having my car fixed at a repair shop, and boomboxes came up as a topic of conversation. The shop owner said he still had his from a birthday back when he was a kid. He said he would bring it in and show me when I picked up my car.

Well... there it was in all its one original owner, dust covered, in the wild glory!

I had no idea that Crown made TWO versions with only a shoulder strap/no handle!

He wanted a lot of money, but since has lost his business, and leaving his wife. He dropped it off today as he needs some quick cash. I still might have over paid for a box with scratchy controls and a confused cassette mech, but hey!

This thing is TIGHT! Very HEAVY too! Even though it wears a layer of dust, it still has that electronic SMELL to it!!!!

Im so proud! Ive never had an 'in the wild' find of this magnatude before!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
way to go jeff :yes:

magnitude is right !!!!

thats about the same box as the rare and super-sounding 850 --
but even MORE rare :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
WOW, congrats! Thats a great wild find!!! Glad to see it found a good home, instead of a dumpster!!! :yes: :yes:

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Wow. Really?

I didnt know it was THAT rare, but doing a quick search doesnt reveal much of anything!

Ive had all the other Crowns worth having, and foolishly let them go for one reason or another.

'One of us' has dibs on this from when I first discovered it last Winter.

If he decides to pass on his option, Im keeping it! :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Man! What a find, Jeff! You just never know where the old classics will turn up. That's why you should ask everyone you meet, "Hey man, you got any old boomboxes?" :-D

Get you some Orange-Glo and that thing will be gleaming!!!!!! :thumbsup: :cool:

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Orange Glo! I'll remember that! Ive gotta go to the store tonight anyway...

Well, the sound. Weird. When I first plugged it in, the left channel didnt work.

I left it plugged in, and slowly, it started working... until it sounded fine. Almost as if, after years of storage, it needed to warm up a bit!

Radio is good, scratchy.

I think the cassette is dead.

Line in works, it has Phono and Line In, I only have the RCA plugs for Phono. I need to get some 3.5 plugs for line in so I can really test it out. However when I plugged in to Phono, the sound was LOUD! Boosted all weird as it does when its Phono style and not a true line in...

I'll have to pick up some wires today.

It is a keeper for sure, but I told a certain family member about this when I first saw it, and he said he had been looking for one for years. He does good things for many of us, including you Ira! So really, he deserves this one if he wants it! :yes:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey jeff --i also believe in honoring dibs
(sometimes) :lol: :lol:

however -- your 100% certain way to get out of the dibs....
and KEEP the 980......
is to quickly DELETE this thread --
and NEVER admit you got it
:w00t: :-P :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:

as for the phono input --
i think ?? i remember that you bought one of those cool
phono/line-in adaptors :: or get one :-)
MCM part # 50-7240

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Good memory!!!

Glad to see that still works my friend! :lol:

Your right, I did buy one of those adaptors, however I let it go to a family member here with my 20/20 I sold him several months ago!

As that was the only box Id ever had out of my years of collecting that needed that, I didnt think Id run across another one! Duh!

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Great Find .
looks like my 850 with square grilles.
BTW These models have an Identical layout of the Rising 2015.
Comes apart the same as well.

When using the line in you must have it in tape mode and engage the deck.
I usually just press the record button.

Status
Not open for further replies.