Fisher 480 Deck Weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
The deck in this was playing fine, belts and everything seem perfect.
However, I thought I best de magnetise the head, so as usual I put my de-mag tape in and hit play.
After this it hit record as I usually do.

Upon engaging record the deck locked up. No movement, but the record LED stays lit.

No other button functions worked, but the heads weren't engaged.

I open her up and manually rotate the flywheel and it disengages record. Lovely!

But now every time a deck button is pressed, including stop, the record LED lights up and locks
up the deck until, again, I manuall rotate the fly wheel. Then it all goes back to working. until another
button is pressed and it loops into the lit record LED with no deck movement.

This doesn't look like an easy deck to work on with all the boards inside so I thought I'd ask here if anyone's had this experience
and can offer a solution.

Thanks guys!

Rock On.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Hey Rick. I had the same exact issue with my 480. :yes:
When I got it the deck was dead. I discovered the belt had just fallen off the flywheel. :w00t:
So I put the belt back on and tried it out.
Everything worked great until I tried to record "Like yourself" then the deck jammed up and went dead. :sad: :thumbsdown: :annoyed:
I found out that the belt was slipping due to the added resistance of engaging the recordplayback switch lever. :w00t:
I replaced the belt with a newer tighter one and everything is fine now,even record..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hope this helps you.
btw,the deck is a little difficult to access,but if you remove it from the main unit it isn't too bad to work on..... ;-)

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
You're a champion Skippy! Excactamundo!!

I reckon I can rebelt her from removing the plate that holds the deck chassis together now I've loosened things, I hope anyway.

Now hunting for the right belt!

Thanks heaps Skippy!

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Thanks heaps, Skippy!!

Do you, know what the belt sizes are to order? The service manual didn't seem to obvious.
I was just going to subtrack a few millimeters off my stretched ones, but actual measurements
would kick arse.

Rock On.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Gluecifer said:
Thanks heaps, Skippy!!

Do you, know what the belt sizes are to order? The service manual didn't seem to obvious.
I was just going to subtrack a few millimeters off my stretched ones, but actual measurements
would kick arse.

Rock On.
Sorry Rick,I don't recall as I had the belts in stock from a variety pack of belts here at my house. :yes:
I just installed them and it worked great. :w00t:
I think the way your going to do it will be just fine though.
sorry......... :blush:

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hey glue,

I found the guys at WES to be very unhelpful with belts unless you tell them the exact ones in their catalogue. They looked at me blankly the first time I went in with the sizes I was provided by members on here. Basically, if it's not the exact info they need, they're reluctant to help. Even when i've taken broken belts into their shop it takes them an amazing amount of time to find their ruler to measure them!!! Make sure you convert the sizes correctly :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.